Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hello all,

I just returned to the Heights from an exciting weekend in New Jersey with the BC Figure Skating Club Team. We were competing at the 2009 Eastern Sectionals Synchronized Skating Championships, or so it says on the gold medal hanging from my neck. Wait? Did I say gold medal? Yes, I did. We won.

Something you will learn quickly at BC is that the motto "Ever to Excel" really rings true, as corny as it sounds. People here are not just excellent students, but they also are amazingly talented outside of the classroom. Take my lovely floor of Gonzaga as a microcosm for the campus. We have two varsity swimmers, a hockey player, a lacrosse player, two girls who sing in the Chorale, one of whom has just been cast in the spring musical (congrats), almost an entire intramural volleyball team, and two members of varsity crew; and that's just from the top of my very sleep-deprived head. My point is that as a university we're good at what we do. Now, what if you don't play a varsity sport? That's where club sports and intramural sports come in. If you get your "exercise" fix from hiking up the Million Dollar Stairs, then no fear there are many people on my hall alone that feel the same way.

So back to the competition. What a blast. It was my first synchro competition; I skated singles through high school and I loved it. The highlight I would say was singing "For Boston" right before we stepped on the ice to compete and having the ice monitor, a BC alum, join in. When you are walking around in BC gear, it still amazes me how many people approach you or yell "Go Eagles!!!" which happened several times in the airport. I would like to say that once an Eagle, always an Eagle rings true here. Beyond that it was great getting to spend so much time with my teammates. The win was more the cherry on the sundae if you will.

So that's all I've got for now folks. I'm heading off to a FACES meeting in a few and need to get ready. TTFN.

Kristin

No comments: