Sunday, January 24, 2010

Let's talk about my classes!


(A note to readers, this post will focus on classes, since we're just starting and registering and re-registering during the drop/add period all this week).

Hey everyone!

It's time to begin a new decade, and a new semester! As much as I've debated and argued with myself over the past two years, I think I'm finally settling into a specific area of studies. I just switched my major to Computer Science, and am so far taking just two introductory classes. One that carried over from last semester, Computer Science II, was introduction to Java, and now we're learning about software engineering and data structures. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty intimidating to me. Still, it's pretty interesting and Professor Ames is fantastic at teaching from the bottom, up. The other class I have is Web Application Development, which incorporates building websites and learning the web language PHP. Again, I don't know much about either, so I'm looking forward to "expanding my horizons" (a.k.a. studying like my life depends on it).

The class that I really want to tell you about, though, my music class. I'm trying to complete another major with music, as a means to follow my passion, live the life, etc. etc. Really, I just really love it. So, this semester, I decided to take a Music of the Romantic Era class with the legendary Beethoven buff, Prof. Jeremiah McGrann. Let me tell you, this class is amazing. I've been to three classes, and it has already significantly changed the way I can listen to music. Plus, we've already seen prof. McGrann doing a silly dance to Mozart. It covers everything, really: historical, social, political, artistic contexts, philosophical implications, affect on contemporary life. I'm seriously looking forward to this semester.

The last class I'll talk about is for those of you who are history-oriented. To help me fulfill the liberal arts core required in the College of Arts and Sciences, I'm taking Prof. Schloesser's Transatlantic Modernities class. A huge, ridiculous name, but a truly interesting class. His own creation, it is a class mainly designed around cultural history - music and paintings, philosophy, sociology - in the context of the "what was happening at the time" style history. I've just showed up in the middle of the two-semester course, which isn't a problem, but I might have more to say on it later, when I know more about it.

Until next time,
Joe M.
mahonjc@bc.edu

No comments: