Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Almost Snow Day

Good Evening Blog Enthusiasts!

I am blogging from Bapst Library's Gargan Hall (Boston College's 24 hour study space) during a break from studying for my Intro to African American Society exam that is tomorrow. I believe this is my first blog post from Bapst Library and let me just tell you, it is my favorite place on campus. I LOVE Bapst Library. In fact, I feel kind of funny if I don't get to come here in a 24 hour period (some might call that an addiction, I just call it dedication).

So it is February already! Scary for a second semester senior, especially one with her thesis project looming over her! My adviser was just featured in the Boston Globe in an article talking all about the seismic hazard of New England, which is pretty exciting. I worked on my thesis all yesterday and feel pretty good about where I am, though I will have to do a little more research using Boston College's Weston Observatory and New England Seismic Network. For now I will try to keep my academic life balanced with all the fun I want to be having for my last semester at BC.

And now a brief recap of some of that fun...

These past two Mondays marked the nights of the great Boston tradition of THE BEANPOT! What is the Beanpot? The Beanpot is a hockey tournament between Boston's 4 "hockey schools:" Boston University, Boston College, Harvard University, and Northeastern University. BC played Harvard in the first round last week and played extremely well with a 6-1 finish! We progressed to the Championship Game against our biggest rival, Boston University, last night to make a run for the Beanpot! We played an amazing game; and, even with a 3rd period scare, were able to pull off a huge 4-3 win over the Terriers!

The games are played at TD Banknorth Garden (home of the Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins) and is the most insane, energetic, spirited atmosphere I have ever experienced! I have been all four years and it truly does not disappoint. The student sections are always stacked and we all scream cheer after cheer after cheer to motivate our team and drown out the competition! It is a fantastic Boston tradition, and is really one of my favorite parts of being a BC student.

You can read all about it here: http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/020910aaa.html

Alright, my break is over and I'm off to a meeting and then a group study session. Everyone have a great evening, and GO EAGLES!

Caroline Wilkinson

No comments: