Tuesday, March 17, 2009

4Boston!

Hi again!

I wanted to just tell you a little about my experience volunteering with the 4Boston group. The group volunteers for four hours each week, with a one hour group reflection each week. At first, I had no idea what to expect. I knew that their three pillars, social justice, community, and spirituality meant a lot to me, and that I wanted to become a part of something important here at school.

After going through the application process and the interview that followed, I got chosen for my first choice and was so excited to get started! My choice, to volunteer with children at the Franciscan Hospital for Children, was something that I thought would enable me to gain experience in the field that I am interesting in focusing my career one while also helping families at the same time. It's been a whirlwind of an experience. I have grown so close to my group; weekly reflections, which I thought would be more of a hassle than anything, are greatly looked forward to and enjoyed. We have so much together, just sharing stories and laughing together, while also focusing on the very serious nature of the work that we do. I realize that we are a very integral community of volunteers at the hospital, and it's worth every minute I spend.

I work on a floor with newborns and a few toddlers who suffer from genetic disorders or very severe respiratory problems. Many spend their days alone, and have been in the hospital since birth, with the possibility of depending on machines to keep them alive for life. Sometimes I just get to hold the babies, and I look at their little fingers and try to give them the love and care that they deserve. I've realized that even a few minutes spent with a child in need is better than nothing at all.

I have several friends who volunteer at other 4Boston placements, and the similarities that exist are strong. Each one of us dedicates so much time to work for the betterment for others in the surrounding communities. Recognizing that others are in need of dire help is important, especially for those of us who are fortunate to be here at Boston College. It's great to know that we are recognized and greatly appreciated both within our school community and in the surrounding neighborhoods of children and their families.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am an early action applicant to BC and was deferred, but have high hopes for a positive letter in the spring. I have volunteered for a group called Builders Beyond Borders B3 all through high school and would like to continue with my service work while in college (Hopefully at BC). I just learned about the BC blog today and am excited that there are so many opportunities to volunteer: $ Boston, Learn to Serve, Pulse... please if anyone has comments on BC students involved in these organizations I would love to learn more. Thanks, MRR