Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chemistry goop and other such goings-on

Well hey there!

So, chemistry lab today was probably the most fun I have had in science lab since the fourth grade. We were studying polymers and their properties – translation, we made different kinds of goop, then played with them. I just wanted to share this awesome experience with the world.

Yesterday was a big day for me, I got to office hours of two of my professors for the first time, both of which were extremely helpful (office hours = optional periods where students can come in and ask professors any questions; often regarding class, but not always – Professor Wolfman of General Chemistry talked about the closely-kept secret U2 concert being held nearby). Since I am still up in the air about what major(s) I want to pursue, I am trying to poke around a bit more thoroughly. Though my general biology lecture is around 200 students (the only larger class I have heard of on campus is an economics lecture) and general chemistry just under 100, the professors are great in small-scale office discussions. Most, if not all, professors hold office hours every week at various times. And since I came back this semester with a new drive to get everything I can out of this education, office hours and TA (teaching assistant) discussion sections are invaluable.

Unfortunately, while I would love to stay and talk more about my classes and how to choose them (PEPs are key – student reviews of many teachers throughout the university), and to continue playing with synthesized goop, I have to run to band and dinner, after which I will be reading Rousseau, writing Harmonic progressions in preparation for a take-home midterm exam, quickly going over our chemistry chapter for our quiz tomorrow, and beginning a paper on Calvin’s place in modern philosophical thought. Those Jesuit ideals of a liberal arts education and rounded character not exactly ignored here at BC.

So, until next post!
Joe

No comments: