Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The verdict of life as a Newton freshman

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I'm really excited to be able to share what my experience has been like thus far.

I'm a freshman and I live on Newton Campus. At first, I was upset to have to rely on the bus to get to main campus and to be so isolated from the rest of the school, but the prospect of living with all freshman has greatly outweighed its few disadvantages. Living on Newton is one of my favorite parts of school. Unlike Upper Campus, you get the feeling of going "home" at the end of the day, and you have the opportunity to leave campus and classes behind you.

I found that my first few weeks at school back in the fall were eased by the fact that I knew everyone was in the same boat as me. Walking into the dining hall on Main Campus, I walked over to a young lady and asked if I could sit with her, to which she responded "I'm not a freshman". Ok, so not all people here are so rude; in fact, most aren't. But at least walking into Stuart Dining Hall I knew that everyone was a freshman and I felt more at ease walking up to people and introducing myself.

Living on Newton brings everyone really close together in the sense that we all see each other some way or another from time to time, whether it is in the dining hall or waiting for the bus, or riding the bus to and from main campus. If you're considering living situations, definitely give Newton a chance. Riding the bus is not as big of a deal AT ALL as I thought it would be. Having the beautiful campus around allows us to be able to throw around a Frisbee or sit on the ground with friends and do work. It's such a great place to be!

-Dana

No comments: