Saturday, March 26, 2011

"The Finishing Line" is in sight

It's hard to believe there are only about 6 weeks left of school before summer break! Well, it's been a little while since I posted (it's been a busy few weeks) so I'll start at the beginning.

Over Spring Break I went to Narrows, VA, with BC's Appalachia Volunteers. The experience was AMAZING! We stayed in the town's activity building with a group of Holy Cross kids (there were about 30 volunteers between the two schools). We did a lot for the community like building a deck for an elderly woman, a ramp for someone who can't walk up stairs any more to get to her home, worked at the daycares, built shelves at a shirt, cleaned the high school, but what amazed me was how much they did for us. They gave us a fireworks show, pot lucks at different churches every night, went out of their way to find the only Catholic church in the county so the kids that wanted to go to the Ash Wednesday Mass could go since it was during our trip. They didn't need to do all of that but they told us they look forward to having college kids every year. It was such a loving community! I really enjoyed it.

After we returned home we got back into the swing of things. I didn't have a lot due that week, so that was really nice for me. We had an after-Appa meeting last Sunday where Father Himes spoke. He told us about doing service in order to help the least of our brothers and about how we shouldn't be doing it for ourselves, even though we might get something out of it. I can't do his speech justice. Father Himes is an excellent speaker and everyone wants to take his class every year. I'm trying to get into it, but we will see if my pick time is good enough!

Speaking of pick times, the Housing Lottery just ended. As a freshman you can go for an 8-man, 4-man, 6-man, 9-man, or doubles and triples. The first day, Monday, is 8-mans, then if you don't get that most kids go for 4-mans on Tuesday, then 6- or 9-mans on Wednesday, and then doubles in triples on CoRo or in 66 Commonwealth Ave. Me and my friends, luckily, had a pick time of 7:10pm on the first day and got an 8-man in 90 St. Thomas More. We were so excited! I've been really close to these girls all year, so it was really nice to hear that we would all be together again (6 of us live on the same floor in Kostka, 4 of us within 3 doors of each other).

However, now that housing is over and class-picking begins for freshman on April 14, the end of the year is very near. It is very scary to think that freshman year is nearly ending. It went by so quickly!

And to think, it was snowing Thursday and I'm talking about summer break!

If you have any questions about Freshman year, since letters should be getting to those of you who are seniors about admissions soon if they haven't already, feel free to email me! I'll be glad to answer any questions!

Taylor Dean
deantb@bc.edu
Class of 2014
Biology Major, Sociology Minor

No comments: