Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spring Break

Hey guys!

Today for me is the first official day of Spring Break, with my definition as the first day without school. It's a great relief to not have to worry about school for the next week because the weeks since Christmas have been fairly stressful - I've had all my first exams, saw the men's Hockey team win the Beanpot again this year, and I've gotten a little bit of sleep. However, tonight I'm not headed home or sporting a bikini in some warm tropical place. Right now, I'm still in my dorm.

This spring break I will be going down to Narrows, Virginia, with the Appalachia Volunteers. I joined in the fall as a freshman and we've been meeting nearly every Sunday since September. There are over 600 members and 38 sites from Maine to Georgia where you can either go on a Habitat for Humanity trip or a Community trip - which is what I'm doing. We've been told that we will be making a ramp for a disabled member of the community, doing some maintenence work in the high school, playing with kids in the day care, and listening to the stories of the community members during the meals they're eager to make for us. We're heading down there tonight (we're leaving Lower Dining Hall at 6pm) and making the 12 hour trip through the night so we can get some sleep. We're leaving Virginia around dinner time on Friday and will get back sometime Saturday morning. It should be a fun and eye opening experience for our group of 15 students (in all grades from freshmen to seniors).

I'll be sure to tell you about it when I get back!

Taylor Dean
deantb@bc.edu

No comments: